Yesterday, I posted a list, and some links to, what other bloggers are reading this summer and I promised to add my own. Well, here it is in all its glory:
BTW, If you want to know what books I have already read this year, I keep a running list here.
Books I plan to read this summer (in no particular order):
– I am currently reading The Future of Freedom: Illiberal Democracy at Home and Abroad by Fareed Zakaria.
– I am always interested in books on the conservative movement and recently picked up two in this field: A Time for Choosing: The Rise of Modern American Conservatism and Right Face: Organizing the American Conservative Movement 1945-65.
– I am also interested in biographies, and recently Presidential biographies. As a result I am very excited about the American Presidents Series being put out by Henry Holt. I wish they were being published in chronological order, but they are not, so I might have to start with John Patrick Diggins’ volume on John Adams.
– Relatedly, I have been meaning to read Bernard Bailyn’s collection of essays entitled To Begin the World Anew: The Genius and Ambiguities of the American Founders.
– Last but not least I need to dig into the fascinating The Mind and the Market: Capitalism in Modern European Thought by Jerry Z. Muller.
– Oh, I almost forgot. I have an advance copy of Politicians, Partisans, and Parasites: My Adventure in Cable News by Tucker Carlson. It is a short and light read so I will probably read that very soon. Good bedtime reading.
Of course I may change my mind and read some entirely different set of books! But the above should give you an idea of where I am headed at the moment.