I have been busy writing for other venues and doing other things so haven’t been able to post a lot of content. But I did have a question you might help me with: what do you look for in book reviews? I am curious both from an intellectual perspective (what do people like and why) and from a practical one (I write book reviews). Given all of the heat lately over various reviewers and sources of reviews this seems like a timely question.
– Do you want a basic plot summery followed by reason to buy or not buy>
– Do you like a discussion of the issues raised in the book that only touches on the plot?
– Do you like a outline of what the author was trying to accomplish (in the reviewers eyes) and whether they succeeded?
– Do you like a political rant only tangentially related to the book in question? (Just teasing!)
– Some combination of the above or none of the above?
I would love to hear from bloggers, writers, readers, etc. Leave a comment, link or trackback here or email me if you have opinions or thoughts. You might also throw out some places and/or people you feel come closest to your model.